1716 Pella Ave., Oskaloosa, IA 52577

(641) 673-3991


State of iowa animal laws

Contact Animal Control:

(641) 673-3991 x2001


An SMAS staff member is on-call outside of normal business hours to respond to situations requiring immediate assistance. If you have an animal control emergency, please contact the Mahaska County Call Center at (641) 673-0347

After Hours Animal Control Emergencies

Residents of Mahaska County may call the SMAS directly with complaints regarding domestic animals or livestock. The SMAS will dispatch an animal control officer to investigate the complaint. The majority of calls received during business hours will be responded to the same day. Calls received after hours will be responded to the next business day unless it is an emergency.

Filing a complaint with Animal Control

6.04.020- Cruelty

No person shall impound or confine or cause to be impounded or confined, in any place, any domestic animal, or fowl, or any dog or cat, and fail to supply such animal during confinement with a sufficient quantity of food and water, or shall torture, torment, deprive of necessary sustenance, mutilate, overdrive, overload, drive when overloaded, beat, or kill any such animal by any means which shall cause unjustified pain, distress or suffering, whether intentionally or negligently.

6.04.040- Injury

No person, having no right to do so, shall maliciously kill, maim, or disfigure any animal of another, or maliciously administer poison to any such animal, or expose any poisonous substance with the intent that the same should be taken by any such animal.

6.04.050- Running at Large

A. It is unlawful for any owner to allow dogs, cats, cattle, horses, swine, sheep or other similar animals to run at large within the corporate limits of the city.

B. It is unlawful for an owner or person to allow dogs, cats, cattle, horses, swine, sheep or other similar animals to be upon or inside the fenced portion of any fenced ball field within the corporate limits of the city of Oskaloosa. Ball field includes but is not limited to Little League baseball and softball fields, Babe Ruth baseball fields, soccer fields or any other ball fields that are enclosed by fencing.

6.04.080 Permitting Annoyance or Disturbance

It is unlawful for the owner of a dog to allow or permit such dog to cause serious annoyance or disturbance to any person or persons by frequent and habitual howling, yelping, barking, or otherwise; or, by running after or chasing persons, bicycles, automobiles or other vehicles

For a complete list of the City of Oskaloosa's animal ordinances, click here

City of Oskaloosa Animal Ordinances

The SMAS contracts with the City of Oskaloosa, the County of Mahaska, Beacon, Rose Hill, New Sharon, Keomah Village, and University Park to provide animal control services. These services include:

  • Stray animal pickup (ONLY IF ANIMAL IS CONTAINED)
  • Handling nuisance domestic animal complaints (i.e., barking, destroying property, running at large, etc...)
  • Investigation of animal neglect and abuse
  • Live-trap placement (domestic animals only)
  • Live-trap rentals

The SMAS does not handle wildlife complaints.

Contact information for nuisance wildlife by county is available here

*Note: This list is not managed by the SMAS and the SMAS is not responsible for information that is out-of-date

animal control services